The Mersey Bluff Lighthouse was established in 1889 and is built of bricks on a stone base. It replaced a succession of beacons and obelisks that had formerly stood on the site. It also replaced the earlier Don River light. The lighthouse stands on top of the bluff to western side of the mouth of the Mersey River in Tasmania north of the Port of Devonport. The lighthouse is unusual in Australia with its distinctive vertical red striped day mark.