Princes' Gates

Princes’ Gates – Exhibition Place, Toronto

Often mistakenly called the "Princess Gates," the monumental Princes' Gates were officially opened by princes Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII), and George (later The Duke of Kent), on August 31, 1927, during that year's CNE. They were built to celebrate Canada's 60th anniversary of Confederation, and were originally to be called "The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates." but the name was changed when it was found that the Princes were touring Canada the year of its dedication. First to pass through the gate was a Veterans Parade, a tradition that later became the annual Warriors' Day Parade. The…